photo RoundBlogHeader_zpsd30a0e76.jpg
 photo Home_zps50395bcc.png  photo About_zps10608490.png  photo Shop_zps9def0362.png Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket  photo instagram_zps6509f02c.png

Oct 7, 2012

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure – Houston

This weekend was a good one. Friday was a pretty good day at work for me. I wore a new dress from Charming Charlee and got lots of compliments. I felt pretty :) Some of our favorite drug reps came in so that’s always fun. No patients yelled at me and Dr Evans was in a pretty great mood. My coworker got all the crazy patients and yelling that day haha It was so weird how I was getting all the good ones and almost every patient was freaking out with her. Sometimes we just have those days huh? To add to the awesomeness, Dr Evans let me leave an hour early! I went out to dinner with my Gma then had a movie night with her. We meant to go to sleep at a reasonable hour since we had to be up so early the next morning but that didn’t happen.

Saturday we participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It was our first time so we didn’t know what to expect. I remember seeing a few people walking around covered in pink last year but didn’t know any details. Sadly, this year my coworker’s cousin passed away from breast cancer. It was actually just a few weeks ago. In honor of her, my coworker’s family got a team together to sign up for this year’s race. I was happy to join and invited my family to as well. I was super excited when my registration packet arrived with my awesome shirt.

Pretty right? Saturday morning we were up at 7am and out the door by 7:15 to head downtown. I live a few blocks from downtown Houston, but stayed the night at my Gma’s 40 min away so I could drive her because she’s not a fan of driving in Houston. Our team met up at my apartment and took the rail downtown because none of us are fans of driving and parking downtown haha We were running a little late, so we were very happy when we saw others in pink waiting for the rail too. We weren’t the only ones! Once we made our way to the beginning of the walk we were SOOO confused! There were people EVERYWHERE. Finally we made it to the start of the walk ( we chose to do the non competitive walk) and were relieved. That is until we were jam-packed at a complete stop at the start of the course. It got hot, the speakers were WAY too loud and people were beginning to make me angry just for being there. Awful right? This lasted for what seemed like an hour then we finally got moving. That made our group very happy :) Once we weren’t so packed and could actually walk, it was AWESOME! Everyone was dressed in pink and happy to be there. We had people cheering us on. There were some great costumes and very enthusiastic teams.
 
It was a beautiful day, and when the breeze came along it was nice. I think the people watching was the best part. Most of the time, I didn’t really recognize where we were. I found out about an awesome park that Brody and I will definitely have to go to soon!





This is my Gma and I at the finish! A little hot, a little tired and a lot sweaty BUT we did it :) Definitely going to do this again next year. However, we know a few things to be better prepared for. With the walking to and from plus the actual course I think we walked roughly 6 miles. My family has a history of breast cancer as well as other forms of cancer so I was glad I got to be a part of such a great cause. I did Relay for Life for quite a few years, and I plan to be involved with this event in the future.

Have you ever participated in this type of fundraising event?



8 comments:

  1. I haven't participated in this type of fundraising but I love the cause! Congrats to you!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing, and how great to support the cause! And isn't it a great day when no patients yell at you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! yes, always a great day when no patients yell :)

      Delete
  3. That's so great that you participated and finished! What a great cause for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great you went and did this as well as finished it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing the race! Definitely a great cause to support!

    ReplyDelete